Friday, January 17, 2014

Nate Robinson raced around Golden State defenders on his way to 24 points in 23 minutes. (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images) OAKLAND, Calif. – Nate Robinson held court on the court – running, slashing, and making shot after shot after big-time shot in the fourth quarter when the Nuggets needed it most. And when he needed it most. Robinson’s 14 fourth quarter points were a huge reason the Nuggets nabbed one of their most important victories of the season – an old-fashioned 123-116 shootout over Golden State at Oracle Arena. But there was something bigger at work for Robinson, whose aunt died in her sleep the day before. “I told the guys I really wanted to win this game in-particular,” Robinson said. “It was big for me to come out and play for her and my family. My dad, it was tough on him losing his sister. He already lost his brother already. So it was just real tough coming out here at this time, dealing with a death in the family, just trying to keep everybody’s spirits up. Tonight was a good win for her.” Robinson gestured to the sky in tribute to her after made buckets, and there were a lot of them. He was 6-of-8 in the fourth quarter. He was 2-for-3 from 3-point range in the quarter and the Nuggets needed all of his production to stave off the hard-charging Warriors. “When he’s aggressive he makes shots,” teammate Wilson Chandler said. “He makes two, and then he gets hot from there.” Robinson holds up his hands in tribute to his aunt. EPA/JOHN G. MABANGLO CORBIS OUT Wednesday’s game was an eye-opening validation of a couple of the Nuggets offseason additions. Not only did Robinson, signed as free agent in the summer, have one of his best games of the season, so did J.J. Hickson. Hickson’s 24 rebounds were a career-high. A free agent signee last summer as well, Hickson battled all night long. He snatched a couple of important late-game rebounds that helped the Nuggets seal the deal. “You’ve just got to go get the rebounds,” Hickson said. “I had a couple of good bounces that went my way. I had, what, three or four, offensive rebounds? Most of them were defensive. I just wanted to keep them to one possession. My shot wasn’t falling tonight. I had a couple of bunnies that I could have made but I missed them. I just wanted to do other things on the court and rebounding was one of them.” But the night? That belonged to Robinson, who played with a heavy heart. “She’s in a better place with God,” he said. “So she’ll no longer have to struggle anymore. She was the head of our family that always taught us about being tough, about never backing down from anybody. And today was a good win for her.” Follow Chris Dempsey on Twitter @dempseypost or email him at cdempsey@denverpost.com